Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Wheels and Coachlines

Please can you help with a small query?

I own a MK II Stag built in March or April 1975.   It has alloy wheels that
are all silver , not silver & black.     Also,  the  coachlines are upside
down (!) and have a break at the rear wheel (rather than the thinner stripe
continuing over it).

I thought these were just peculiarities to my Stag, but I have seen a
couple with the same differences.    Is it possible that the earliest
alloys were all silver or have they jsut been stripped and repainted in one
colour at some time in  the past?

Is it possible that the coachlines have been replaced upside down to mask
some resprayed panel?  I can't see evidence of that on the paintwork itself
though.  Or, perhaps the stripes were put on by the dealer the wrong way
round?

This is important as I'm due to shortly have the car re-sprayed and want it
to be as historically accurate as possible and if my (and other Stags)
really were different then I'd like to keep it htat way......

Regards to all

Alastair