Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Inlet Manifold Advice

Dear Bob
The gouge is part of the design. I used Unipart asbestos free gaskets when I
did mine with some Rover ally Gasket sealing material for 1.4 K series
engines, which I think is silicone based. I could get you the part number.
Can't help you with the helicoiling but someone will.
When you reassemble you must use a torque wrench and torque up to 20, but
definitely not over. I couldn't get my torque wrench on all the bolts,
especially the front LH and had to guess. I found the top bolt, although easy
to torque is less important to tighten up than the side ones, which may not be
the case with yours because  I'll bet the heads are not on dead square, and
that a loose fit of the manifold reveals a slight rocking.
Anyway mine is watertight after 2500 miles, and she has seen some 80mph plus
long motorway runs since then.
Oh, by the way ignore the repair manual advice to loosen one head to float it.
That will unseal the gasket. I am told you only do that float stuff if you
have had the heads off.
Good luck with the helcoils
Peter H