Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V4 #74

Okay,
	Let's run with that, very good place to start.  So we have a brand new "long
block" 350 c.i.d. to say, put in a Stag, cost $1350 USD, as you say, minus
accessories.

Now we add the accessories(for free and no additional labor, I suppose??)

To complete the engine:
-Carb and intake manifold
-exhaust manifolds, may need to be cut or customized to fit
-water pump
-fan, clutch and modified spacer
-Distributer
-coil
-wires
-cap/rotor
-points/electronic ignition
-spark plugs
-alternator
-power steering pump
-temperature sensor
-valve covers
-oil sump
-(some "long blocks" do not come with an oil pump, add one)

And to install the engine:
-custom Motor mounts
-custom fit motor brackets
-custom fit exhaust
-custom fit wire harness
-custom alternator bracket
-custom fit power steering bracket
-custom fit A/C bracket (if with A/C)
-custom fit hoses to the radiator
-custom fit hoses to the heater
-custom fit belts
-custom fit air cleaner
-possible hole cut in bonnett (hood) for air cleaner clearance or, supercharger
-possible radiator change and custom fitting
-custom fit power steering pump hoses

-a transmission, auto or manual
-a bell housing or
-an engine adaptor plate
-a clutch disk if manual
- pressure plate if manual
-a relesase bearing if manual
-custom transmission mounts
-custom transmission brackets (not all final drives are in proper alignment
-custom flange to the Stag driveshaft flange
-a custom transmission shifter bezel, if it even lines up correctly
-custom shifter linkage
-possible shortened drive shaft

-nuts/bolts/washers for all of the above
-hack saw blades
-arc welding supplies
-cutting torch gas

Then is the engine heavier or lighter?  Front springs.

Am I crazy to believe that all this stuff is no additional cost?  I do not think
so.  Even at a salvage yard, these parts are going to cost $500 minimum.  Maybe
the choice for the 350 was because you had another for the accessory parts, but
you then have to recondition/renew those parts before installing them.  Then get
out the hack saw, cutting torch and welder.

	I have an engine compartment picture from a Stag owner in New York before
changing his Chevy "350"xconversion  back to a Stag V8.  It shows the "350"
motor mounts welded to the frame about 6-8 inches ahead of the stock Stag motor
mounts, and large pieces of metal missing where the larger radiator was fitted.
Not a pretty sight.  Shifter bezel chopped up.  I'll bet that the tranny tunnel
had to be chopped and bent for the big hydromatic that must have been on it.
	 A local Stag fitted with a Corvette 327/300 with an automatic, ditto, but the
hood was chopped for a whole hood fiberglass scoop.  Like a lot of other
conversions I have seen, it is now sitting with a broken engine.  Shifter bezel
chopped up.
	A third local Stag fitted with a Buick V6, sitting with a broken engine.  The
installation was real professional, but no room for an air cleaner.  The owner
did not want to cut up the hood, so he ran it without an air cleaner.  We all
know what that engine looks like inside now...and why it is now broken.
	A forth local Stag was fitted with a Chevy 350, now sits at a local Brit car
garage, minus blown 350 engine.  Hood had been modified with a hood scoop, lots
of bondo, engine gone, shifter bezel chopped up.
	A fifth local Stag with a "350" conversion, popriveted black fiberglass hood
scoop, chop job inside the engine compartment, real fast.  Engine vibration runs
throughout the whole chassis from idle to full throttle acceleration, feels like
a 1966 Corvette minus the handling. Shifter bezel chopped up.