Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V4 #74

Hello Larry,

	Tell us what machining work you had done to the 350.  Is is a case where the
Stag motor was more trashed than the 350?  Did the 350 need new pistons and
boring?  Did you have the 350 crank reground and polished with a new bearing
set?  Did you have the heads done?  Did you replace the 350 cam chain and
gears?  There are certain things that are included on an "engine rebuild", like
heads/valves/guides/seals, bearings, rings, wrist pins, crank, timing gears and
chain, seals, gaskets, and the labor operations like cooking out the block and
heads, boring/honing, milling, grinding/polishing, seating, etc.  Take two V8
engines, do the same operations to each of them, costs are pretty much equal.
My Stag V8 complete rebuild cost me less than $2000 ($1947) and this current
cost included, new piston/ring/pins set, hardened crank, gsasket set, dynamic
precision balance, bronze valve guides, all machining labor included.  With
timing chains/gears/guides, water pump rebuild, and carb rebuild, I'll be up to
about $2500.  But then there are the fancies like tubular SS exhaust that adds
to my personal preference cost, not necessary for restoration.
	I paid $49 USD per AE piston with rings and pins (£245 UKP per whole set), less
than the cost of US motor pistons, from Rimmer Brothers. I bought the parts
during one of Rimmers many show specials so shipping was free.  Chevy/Olds 350
pistons are more like $75 each if you buy TRW's or Perfect Circle.  Line boring
costs the same for a GM block as any other V8.  Most of the machine shops I know
of list the labor cost by engine size and cylinders, not by manufacturer, unless
they are power pack heads or hemi's.
	If you compare apples to apples, the cost of the parts is not  really more than
a US engine, the labor cost for the same amount and same type of work is usually
the same, but a conversion requires custom motor mounts and custom exhaust
connection, modifying alternator connections, custom water hose configurations
from radiator and heater.
	If the conversion engine is lighter or heavier, the front suspension needs to
be custom modified to suit.  Then there is matching up the tranny to the
driveshaft, customizing the shifter position and shifter bezel.  If the oil sump
is too large, it needs to be modified, and don't forget transmission mounts.
Then there is the hood modification to fit the Holly double pumper and air
filter, unless it is fuel injected, then you need to put jumpers on all the
computer inputs that are not used.
	Then there is the issue of matching the instruments to the engine, temperature
sending units are different, tacho may not read accurately, and the speedo is
more likely wrong than right.  Many people with conversions just live with some
of these problems.

	Forgive me, but I just do not see an apple to apple comparison in a conversion
when you add up all the incidental costs and effort of custom pieces, wiring.
Maybe I am just blind or really stupid, missing some really basic short cut on
cost and labor, but I think $2000 for a complete engine rebuild is a good price
fro all I got.  Somebody has got to step me through the costs, equal for equal,
and include costs for any custom work they had to do in order to make things fit
right.  I've been in on several conversions, and there is always some
modification somewhere to make it fit.

In My humble Opinion, Yours for Speculation...

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
Andrew Mace, President
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
Mike Coffey, Chairman
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Registry UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided