Stag/Stag Digest Archive

The Smelly Stag - Part 2

Hi Everyone,

A brief note of thanks to all replies regarding the "smelly Stag' and
petrol fumes from the boot area.

By way of update, I found a spare couple of hours on the weekend and
decided to tackle the job of removing the petrol tank to inspect the
underside and rear for any possible leaks. It is an easy job (even with the
tank a quarter full !!) and I was pleased to see that after removal there
was no evidence of leaks or corrosion.

Whilst removed, I set about changing some of the old tubing which whilst
not leaking I thought perhaps may have been giving rise to vapour leaks.
The fuel tank sensor and gasket appeared fine by the way, and I have
decided to bypass the air canister with some new tubing.

On the subject of tubing, I would be interested if anyone knows what is the
corrrect spec ffor tubing that runs between the tank and the petrol pump
(main supply line). Should this be three eights or quarter inch SAE ??

After reinstalling, there has been some improvement in the reduction of
smell, but I must confess, there is still room for improvement.  During the
removal process, I did notice that the tank filler pipe was firmly fixed at
the tank end but slipped off without much coaxing at the filling end where
it joins the petrol cap assembly. I am wondering if this could be a further
source of the problem and whether this is normally firmly fixed to the
petro cap unit ? (I suspect it should be!!)

Please stay tuned for further updates and of course, any advice is welcome
!!

Regards,

Dean Lewsam
76 Stag/Sydney/Australia