Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Jackshafts & Water Pumps

Hi Daryl

Two things that I think may have caused this problem.

1st the water pump cover could have been refitted without sufficient
clearance between the cover and the bolt on the water pump. This would
cause the pump to bind and subsequently wear out the gears.

2nd could be that you had a brand new water pump fitted.. There are,
apparently, a number kicking around that did not have proper case
hardening on the jackshalf gear. These water pumps, apparently, tended
to last 2-3000miles before failing.

You hopefully will appreciate that you will need to strip the engine
down and remove all swarf from the oil-ways and inspect for damage to
bores and bearings.. Did a pro build the engine for you? If so you may
be able to "persuade" them to do the job again for nothing.

If you did the job yourself then I suggest you get the case hardening
checked on the water pump gear, then you may have some comeback on the
guys who supplied you with the water pump.

I am not a victim of this particular problem, but there are a number of
owners especially in the UK who have successfully taken action against
Unipart who, allegedly, supplied the rogue parts..

Maybe someone else in the group can advise on testing the hardening on
the waterpump gear.

Good luck and regards

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag