Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Jackshafts & Water Pumps

Recently I had the less than agreeable experience of watching the Stag's
temperature guage climb close to the red sector. Inspection of the cooling
system showed that the water pump was not operating. Upon withdrawing the
water pump I noticed that the teeth on the drive gear were somewhat smaller
in dimension to what they should be. They also sported blue heatmarks and
were razor sharp at their tips. It seems to me that they were subjected to
inadequate lubrication. Of note also is that the corresponding drive gear on
the Jackshaft was in a similar condition. Considering that the engine was
re-built only 5000KM ago I find this situation slightly odd. I have not
withdrawn the Jackshaft from its normal place of operation as yet so cannot
provide ID and OD measurements of the block and J/S respectively.

Questions:

What has most likely led to inadequate lubrication of the said parts (oil
pressure is fine)?

What is required to remedy the problem to a point where the next new J/S and
W/P will not suffer the same fate.

Your opinions and experiences are most welcome.

Daryl Gatenby
Hamilton
New Zealand
73 Stag MOD