Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Unleaded

Hi Richard,

I don't know specifically about the Stag (because I haven't got one yet)
but when I had a Ford Cortina, I had it converted to use unleaded. All
they did was to retard the ignition by 10 degrees and told me to put
leaded in every 4th tank full so that the valves would have at least a
little lead coating. If you use normal unleaded (which has a lower
octane rating than leaded) then it will affect the ignition point of the
fuel which causes the pinking (apparently). The timing adjustment
counteracts this octane difference. Before you do this, though, try
using super-unleaded. The octane difference might stop the pinking.

Cheers,

Mike.