Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil Pumps

Al,
When I bought my Stag 10 years ago, one of the more confusing problems I had
was  the contradictory advice out there about Stags. I doubt if the
contradictions matter in most cases, but I knew I  was going to be depending
on someone else for help.
I also had a friend who would frequently 'poll" people about his car's
problems (not a STAG) and would pick the answer he liked. I found myself
answering with solutions to his problems, and later when he asked for more
help to STILL solve the problem, I'd find he hadn't heeded my previous
suggestion (didn't pick that answer) etc.and I'd become disinterestested in
helping him further. Therefore, because  of all the conflicting opinions about
Stags (water pumps, oil pumps, timing chains, retorquing heads etc.) I saw
that I had to select a single source not necesarily as THE authority, but as
MY authority. I always follow his advice. In turn, I buy my parts from him
(giving free advice doesn't pay his bills!).He has never been wrong, and has
helped me out of a lot of tough problems. I read the postings here. and there
is  little I have disagreed with, but I have read things I would not do simply
because they are not the way the car was designed. I have always used Hart
Racing Services in London, and I would never hesitate to ask Tony Hart's
opinion on technical issues. There are probably others out there also, but I
have been burned a couple of times early on when I strayed from the path.Tony
has said before that the Stag is a fine automobile if it is maintained as the
factory intended. Re-engineering of the engne is where we start getting in
trouble. I would put a stock oil pump back in the car.