Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil Pumps

Hi Al
I think he is talking about Holburn Eaton. If the pressure is too high
supposedly it stretches the timing chains, because the timing chain tensioners
are operated by oil pressure.
Mine ticks over hot at 34 and runs with about 45 at 3500 revs.
For a short while my pressure relief valve was not working and my oil pressure
was equal to speedo readings. Sounds to me like you may have a Saab pump which
perhaps allows a much greater variation of pressures, i.e.15 up to 55 but its
also worth considering which oil you have in there. I get lower pressures with
GTX than I do with Unipart 15W50.
You may have a single grade oil, like SAE40W to give such readings.
Peter H