Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Desparate and Stagless!

Hello Mark,    I've been loosing sleep over this one, You have obviously been
bit by the Stag bug in a bad way, got in a little over your head.  Basically,
what it comes down to is, it is going to cost you money one way or the other
whether or not you decide to put the Stag back on the road, and you have
already committed the financial burden of the $12K loan.  But you are young,
you can handle this and come out smiling too.
    So, you are living in Oz, and the idea is to get this Stag back on the
road with the minimum of costs.  Not knowing the condition of the engine and
knowing it is already apart, you need to make some choices.   Look on the
bright side, the engine is already  apart!
    One idea that comes to mind is locating the other Stag owners at least on
the same continent as you, that you might call upon to use your engine in a
series of "Technical Sessions", do the rebuild with a group of Triumph and
Stag enthusiasts.  There are some very knowledgable Aussies with bunches of
Stag experience and solid Triumph know-how.  First off, assess your own
ability and the resources available locally.  You obviously had the $$'s to go
to the mechanic, but do not let the bill climb to high just allowing the
mechanic poke around.  Chart a plan, get a firm cost, and go for it.  So,
let's discuss your options:

1.  Let the mechanic do all the work:  Well, if you are planning to open your
wallet to this mechanic, first know it is going to cost you some major money.
"She" better be good looking because all your money is going to her...Oh, it
is a he mechanic? Too Bad, If you decide to go this route, does he offer a
warranty, can he actually do a qualtiy job, and can he supply references of
other Stags/Triumphs/rare car engine work?  A cheap engine job will only cost
you more in the long run when you have to do it again!;
2.  Have the mechanic spec the parts you need, sizes of pistons, bearings, etc
if it is not going to cost much more to get the info.   Gather up the car,
pieces with parts list, take it home or to a friends workshop/garage, buy a
complete engine rebuild kit, including manuals, from a reputable company such
as Rimmer Brothers or James Paddock, and begin the task yourself.  If you have
the ability, this will be the least cost.  If you do not have the
ability...then consider;
3.  continuing from the "Technical Sessions" idea and #2, locate some other
Triumph and Stag owners that are willing to help you put the car back on the
road, offering technical assistance, elbow grease, and commeradity.  This idea
will most likely cost you some beer, pizza and Ben- Gay in addition to
assembling the car, and possibly a membership in a local Triumph Club that
needs some young blood to get the old geezer Triumph and Stag owners off their
keesters!  This is most likely the best approach, as you will have formed a
support group and made some friends to boot.

So, any Aussies down unda' that can help this new fledgling Stag Owner?  Free
Pizza, beer and Ben-Gay!  (Gold Coast, maybe he's got a jacozie!)

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
membership inquiry's to: