Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Desparate and Stagless!

Hi Mark,

No useful advice really, just a philosophical note. I bought
my stag just over two years ago. I was 22 years old and *thought* that I knew
what I was doing. It had an MOT certificate, nearly new,
which must have been a little suspect. The bodywork and interior were
really rough, I mean diabolical, and the chromework was shot to smithereens.
However, it went fine, and had the MOT so I parted with 2500 UK pounds.

The plan was to fix up the body and interior, have the car ready in 3 months
or so. After three months I had discovered that both inner sills, all four
floors, and three outriggers were rusted to bits and had been bodged up by
*welded* patches over the rusty bits, one of which I removed by pulling by
hand!!!

One welder and another 6 months, a lot of welding wire, a lot of time, a lot
of money, and lot of heartache saw the car ready and painted, with some
pretty good secondhand bumpers and a nice new carpet. It got a new MOT,
so I proceeded to use the car.

Since then, I've had to replace many suspension, brake, engine ancilliaries,
and driveline components.

I must have spent another 2,000 pounds by now, but I've driven it as my
everyday car.

I did bite off more than I could chew in the early days, but I learnt to
weld and spray and a host of other skills.

I remember Rimmers selling a Kit for total engine reconditioning for about
700 pounds. Maybe doing it yourself, over a few months, taking your time,
learning as you go? You'll need all the machining work done by a garage,
but you could rebuild the engine and heads yourself.

It will be a huge challenge but also a huge feeling
of success when you finally finish it.

Whatever you choose, good luck. It may be a long time before you can afford
to get this car on the road, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
For me, the early days were bankrupting but two years on the loan is paid
off, and the car is in use every day, running o.k.

And like me, you won't be caught like this again!

Regards, David Luke.
The opinions stated here are mine alone and do not neccessarily
reflect the opinions of Ericsson Telecommunications Ltd.
Telephone Office: +44 1444 23 19 65