Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Unleaded Engine

For the benefit of all who have recently contributed to this debate
(again), the Triumph Stag Register has investigate in detail the extensive
research into this subject which has been donme by experts using real
engines, and issued a report earlier this year.  I re-state, this waas the
result of detailed investigation and engine research done by those with
huge budgets.

Unlike a lot of stuff I have seen in the press and in other club magazines
it was not "shot from the hip", neither were any commercial interests
represented.

If you would like a copy of the TSR report which is based only on detailed
research, please let me know.

The brief summary is;

1.  Stag engines are virtually spot-on for unleaded anyway, literally all
it takes is to fit TR7 exhaust valves (not extensive, expensive conversions
as some people are trying to make out).
2.  Some Stags are fitted with hardened exhaust valves anyway
3.  When leaded petrol is phased out in Europe, Lead Replacement Gasoline
(LRG) will do the job quite well as it is already in Netherlands, Germany,
Austria
4.  the Stag seems to run fine in standard trim (alleged soft exhaust
valves) and it is believed all Stags sold in the USA were fitted with soft
exhaust valves and running nicely for many years on unleaded.

Many owners in tht UK have reasonably extended practical experience of
running with unleaded.  Refer Peter Howells e-mail today and my own
experience.   I certainly don't hang about in my Stag, if it goes out of
the door it covers very many miles, most of them at high speed.  So far,
absolutely no problems, no difference in heat output.

So, what's the fuss?

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register