Stag/Stag Digest Archive

rusty fuel tank...What to do?

First I'd like to thank everyone who offered advice on *'71 Snag without
power*.
All but one suggestion was implemented but with no success on restoring
the lost power.

The actual problem _seems_ to be a rusty fuel tank.
Why didn't I notice the dirty filters?
Why did this not turn up when the fuel line pressure was checked?

-Before the loss of power developed I had replaced the in-line fuel
filters. The new filters had less than 200 miles on them...I had (false)
confidence that they were clean.
-When the problem developed I checked the filters and the fuel-line
output just prior to the carbs. All OK.
-What I didn't check was fuel poured _out_ from the "IN" side of the
filters. When I did check this what came out looked like that
radiator-stop-leak product with all the copper flakes floating in it.

My theory...
The fuel flow was checked when the engine was cold. As the engine ran
rust particles would block the filter medium and fuel flow. When the car
sat overnight for example, the rust would settle in the filters
(partially) clearing the filter medium for the next go 'round. Repeat ad
nauseum.

I pulled the fuel tank and removed the (fuel-level) sending unit. After
siphoning off six gallons of gasoline and draining the rest from below I
found the inside surface of the tank to be rusted evenly.

What next?
I dropped the tank at a radiator shop for cleaning. The shop owner
suggested cleaning and a plastic coating for the inside of the tank. [One
week and $80 for the cleaning and coating.] When pressed he couldn't say
exactly what type of plastic it was by that it might be like epoxy and
would look like rust in the tank! He did know of a tank treated ten years
ago that was still in full service. Only ten years? He said it was the
most amazing thing he'd ever seen. I'm intrigued. I asked if I could
watch but was bombed with little excuses concerning timing, fumes, and
liability.
Am I buying the king's new clothes?
Does anyone have experience with this?
Suggestions...

If everyone has had this experience and it's considered common knowledge
I will pay penalty for posting this frequently asked question by
assembling a Stag-FAQ. (I read once that no Stag-FAQ existed.)