Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Unleaded engine

Subj:	Re: Unleaded fuel
Date:	19/07/1998
Earlier reply to Ian

Hi Ian
I have just completed 6000 miles on ordinary unleaded on a standard
unconverted Stag V8 engine.
I would say the car is running very sweetly, and so much so that I am tempted
not to change the plugs and do the compresssion check which are both due just
now on the 12000 mile service the rest of which I have completed.
My philosophy is that if I do get valve wear the the heads will have to be
done, but since if that is going to happen they will have to be done anyway
after year 2000 then why worry. If they don't need to be done then thats a
bonus.
The standard stag engine has the same exhaust valve seats as the TR7, designed
for unleaded in America. Accoding to a number of sources, and Tony Hart who
did research on this, the Stag exhaust valves are supposed to be changed for
harder steel, but, so far, as I say, I am running very sweet and pulling lots
of power. That is cruising on the motorway at 70 ish or driving around the
country lanes.
Oselli engineering do a "Green Heart" conversion that involves phosphor bronze
valve guides, but it seems to me the valves guides get enough lubrication from
oil, as there is no valve stem oil seal.
I hope that has helped.

Peter Howells