Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Cylinder Head Studs

Hi All
Mike Wattam is quite right to remind us about those studs
The original bulletin I wrote about was for the TR7
According to the parts list the TR7 uses the same studs and bolts as the Stag
up to a certain engine number (1980 ish?) where the TR7 bolts changed part
number but studs stayed the same as Stag.
The mentioned bulletin (1981) did not distinguish between studs and bolts.

The Stag service sheet says retorque them at 12,000
My own car has recently been developing a black oil film on top of the
coolant.
It has just had a 12000 mile service  including retorqueing the heads, but
Tony Hart did it and I don't know how much torque he used, but now this is an
issue I will find out.
Certainly the black film is not now appearing on the surface of the coolant so
I am pretty glad that the 12000 mile schedule was followed. That was 1000
miles ago. If I get that black film again I'll advise you.

Peter Howells