Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Rear upper shock mounts

Bruce,

It's very common.
So much so that I think it was another of those design features, to make
owners keep spending money on their cars.

Most of the cars I see have a plate welded to the top of the shock posts.
This is the best long term solution. If you just weld the cracks they will
occur again in another place.

Alex

At 08:43 AM 7/16/98 -0400, Bruce Krobusek wrote:
>Staggers:
>
>I recently looked at the upper rear shock mounts on my wife's
>Stag (behind the rear seats) and noticed that both mounts had
>2-3 cracks in the body metal radiating out from the center bolts.
>None of the cracks looked too severe, although there is signs
>of rust starting and some possible dampness getting through
>from outside.
>
>Questions: First, how common is this? Second, I plan on
>having the area around the cracks ground down and welded.
>Should some sort of stiffening or bracing be added as well?
>
>Comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
>
>     Bruce
>
>      Bruce A. Krobusek
>        '83 BMW R80RT
>      '72 TR6  CC75665LO
>     '73 Stag LE23546UBW

Alex Nixon

Triumph Stag 1973 US model - mine from '94 - daily driver
Triumph Stag 1971 UK model - mine from '83 - awaiting my return
Triumph Stag 1973 US model - under rebuild - anyone got an OD Gearbox ?
Range Rover  1990 US model - mine from '97 - what a toy

I Just keep trying to convince myself 1'm having fun,
and how lucky I am to have such a rewarding hobby...

A Brit who got lost , now in Atlanta Georgia USA