Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Poly bushings

I received some poly bushings from Rimmer's recently  and now find
myself  in need of  the group's council.   First, there is the shape
of the things.  I assumed they would be polyurethane versions of the
original bushes, as did apparently, Graham, with the drag strut bushes.
But, the lower control arm ones are quite different  also.  I have a new spare
to compare the poly one to.  In  side profile they look like so:
			original								poly
                   _____________                             _
                     _
                  /                              \
  |  \______________/  |
                 /                                \
                | - - - -  - - - - - - - - - -|                          |
- - - - - - -- - - -  - - - -- - |
                |-  - - - - and so forth.

They are the same length, but differ in diameter by more than 1/8 inch--the
poly
being smaller.  Now, I guess the rubber bushes are somewhat bigger in dia
than the hole in the arm, judging from people's descriptions of  squashing
them in
(especially the rear trailing arms).  And the poly ones have a steel sleeve
that is
about 1/16 inch bigger than the ID of the bush, so it may  expand a little.
 I'm not
planning to install them for several months yet, so don't have the arm to
measure
its hole. Is there anyone on the list with experience with these things
that can
allay my fears that it won't fit (too small)?  Or that these are all wrong
parts.

Richard Hall
73 Stag
60 Morris Minor Traveller