Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil & Filters - Advice please!

Use only Unipart filter GFE 147.  This has a raised metal ring top and
bottom, and thus there is no cardboard washer to clock the oil-way.  I was
the Stag nerd who originally brought this problem to the attention of
Unipart (many, many years ago) and had them redesign the filter.  If you
want a copy of a detailed write-up on the whole episode please let me now,
but as I suspect you know of this problem only too well, you will not need
this.

Use only oil with a 'hot' grade of 50, and preferably as runny as possible
when cold.  Duckhams Hypergrade (15W-50) works well - 25 years in my Stag
and still going strong.  Unipart make a good range of oils (by Esso and
re-labelled I believe) and Volkswagen dealers are currently selling
'Quantum' oil at knock-down prices (also Esso!).  Synthetic and
semi-synthetic oils are a waste of time on the Stag as it just doesn't need
them - also they are not made in '50' grade - as well as being very
expensive every 3,000 miles!

As for spin-on filters, I am not sold on these at all.  There are a number
of designs about, some I have seen definitely constrict the oil flow but I
do not know what Rimmers are currently supplying.  They can be more
convenient than the regular masochistic ritual of having a couple of pints
of hot black stuff up your arm-pits and down the driveway, but on the other
hand think of the ecological aspects - the spin-on filter uses more metal
than the element filter, as it has half a baked-bean tin wrapped round the
element and you have to throw this away every time.  Oh yes, we will save
the planet, everybody should drive a Stag .............

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register
(and Planet Zarghhhhh)