Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Driveline problems

Paul Audemars wrote:
> I had exactly the same sound - definitely the diff.  I agree with
> whoever said don't use a recon unit.  Go for a new one or be prepared
> for even more grief.

Based on Paul's (and several others') comments, it looks like I'll have
to bite the bullet and spring for a new differential.  I've heard that
recent ring and pinion sets have had problems with whining from day one.
Have these problems been resolved?  What vendor(s) would you recommend?
Does the noise indicate an impending failure?

One more problem I've found - I ordered and received a replacement quill
shaft bearing last year from SNG Barratt last year.  When I removed the
old bearing this afternoon, I found that while the old bearing was a
sealed unit, the new part had no seals.  IMHO, this could allow dirt into
the bearing or allow the any lubricant I place in the pinion extension
housing to leak out through the bearing and out onto the road.  Can
anyone verify for me that the quill shaft bearing should be either sealed
or unsealed?  If it is supposed to be unsealed, is there an oil seal
between the bearing and the input flange?  My parts books don't show
anything here, and have no detail on the bearing.

Ann and I were planning on driving the Stag on a two week vacation in
about a month.  If it proves impossible to get a new differential in the
next two weeks, I will need to find another solution.  Would it be
possible to use the complete differential assembly from my TR6 in the
Stag?  It looks like I would have to swap the rear case and the front
extension, but the remainder of the differential casing appears to be
similar between the two.  Has anyone ever done this?

Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6