Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Driveline problems

Angus Holliday wrote me (off-list)
> One thing you might try short of immediate replacement, is to check
> the pre-load.  We had one car in that had the front shims torn up into
> little pieces and stuck in the front bearing.  The front nut on the
> diff would turn by hand on the cotter pin!  We re-shimmed and all was
> well.  A long shot..but you may want to check it.  We also use Redline
> 90W (synthetic) to prolong the diff life.

The light bulb just came on and got really bright!  I noticed that the
castle nut was loose on the cotter pin when I removed the pinion
extension housing this afternoon.  A quick review of the ROM tells me
that it's supposed to be torqued to 90-120 lbf-ft., which is quite a
bit more than "finger tight"  8-)  I'll take a look at this right away.
I haven't opened the differential case yet, but there was no obvious
debris when I removed the pinion extension housing.

Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6