Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Driveline problems

Hi Tim
Aggravating isn't it, that whine.
Only when power is on tells me its your diff.
Basic theory is that the relationship of pinion to crown wheel can be changed
in four ways.
Pinion meshed sideways more deeply than ideal   -    wears a line across base
of Crown wheel teeth.
Pinion insufficiently meshed                  - wears a line near to end of
tooth, parallel with tooth edge.
Pinion meshed too much towards centre of crown wheel  - wears out inner edge
of crown wheel tooth
Pinion too far out from centre of crown wheel    - wears out outer edge of
crown wheel.
Pinion just right equals ellipse of wear on face of driven crown wheel tooth.
I suppose as the bearings get slack through age the pinion pushes too deep in
hence wear which equals noise. Worn out crown wheels and pinions are scrap.
My old manual says check the wear pattern using a mixture of red lead (Oooph,
this is an old book) and engine oil painted on the teeth.
I believe you could import a new crown wheel and pinion and rebuild the diff,
no doubt you know what's involved, and its high skill stuff.
Cardinal have them at 140 pounds, and Rimmer 195 pounds. James Paddock have
recon diffs 225 pounds but could be a hell of freight charge.
Anyway, you will have to bite the bullet I am afraid, well my opinion.
Cheers
Peter Howells