Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Tranny removal

Hi,
I test drove a STAG auto at the weekend. The car is amazingly sound
(structurally speaking), but I am a bot concerned about the auto box.
It seemed to stay in 2nd for a long time (up to 4,000rpm) when cruising. Is
this normal?
Selecting Drive or reverse was met by a bit of a 'clunk'.
Changing from 2nd to 1st (kick down) resulted in a 'wheel spin' effect from
the gear box (not the rear wheels), before the gear engaged.
Any ideas?
Also, does anyone know how much to get the box refurbished / replaced if it
is 'knackered'?
Many Thanks
Chris