Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil puddle beneath carb

1/  Oil leak is probably from the head gasket under the front end, where an
oilway comes up from the crankshaft area, or alternatively from the water
pump.  This fits into a housing in the block with 'O' rings, these may well
have perished allowing oil up and out into the vee.

2/  Setting the carbs up correctly is not easy.  The Gunson Colortune will
give the perfect mixture for performance and economy quite easily, but this
will be well over the top on a CO meter.  The Gunson CO tool is untried as
far as I am concerned, but if it works on the same basis as an MOT station
professional machine, you can get the carbs to meet the emissions levels
easily, but leave the car very undriveable with a weak mixture.  Also, as
the two carbs are interconnected inside the manifold, getting them to
balanced fuelling is pretty difficult.  You need a lot of time and
patience.  Also check flow at idling on each carb with the Gunson
flowmeter/balancer.

3/  If you let me have full details of your Stag for sale, I'll put it in
the next Triumph Stag Register free of charge.  We are getting a lot of new
members, still looking for cars and we seem to have 'sold' quite a few this
way.  All I ask is that you tell the buyer about the TSR (forcibly if
necessary) if not already a member.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register