Stag/Stag Digest Archive

BW35 Autobox

I wouild never use Hylomar on an automatic gearbox, firstly the oil is
aggressive and will attack such substances, as you have found.

The cork gasket can be applied dry, but it is best to oil or grease it
before fitting.

The most important thing to do is to check the faces are flat.  Start by
checking the gearbox casing to make sure the screw threads are not pulling
out of the casing so it is not flat any more, file off any outstanding
metal.  Then look at the sump flange.  I expect you will find that because
the flange is made of thin steel and the gasket is cork, it is very easy to
overtighten the screws and the flange then warps betwen the fixing screw
holes (you mention you have used Helicoils, this must be because the bolts
were overtightened).  The best answer is a new sump, or it may be possible
to straighten the flanges.  If you have access to engineering facilities,
consider making up 1/8 to 3/16" thick steel strips to fit along the flanges
with screw holes drilled through them.

Whatever you do, fit the screws to the correct torque as specified in your
manual (12-16 lbf-ft) and no more!

I hope this helps.

Will you be coming to the Triumph Stag Club Deutschland Autumn meeting on
2-4 October in the Black Forest this year?  We already have several members
of the TSR coming.  We had Markus Schoenenberger the President of Triumph
Stag Club Switzerland staying at our house this week, and he told me that
Walter Engi is organising the meeting.

Markus also told me TSCS is having a Stag day at Lucerne on 22 August, we
are planning to be there also, maybe you too will be there?

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register