Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Low End Blues

I think you are worrying unduly about the Lumention, at least as regards
the year.  Lumenition was never fitted as standard, but many Stags have
been converted by their owners with no problem.

You do not say what you have done to your engine.  If all friction
components (e.g., pistons, bearings) have been renewed your engine will
have a lot of friction in it and feel very sluggish at low revs.  This
should mainly wear off (ha ha) in 100 miles or so.  The Stag is
particularly susceptible to this problem as it suffers from lack of
bottom-end torque anyway.

Another possible cause is major air leaks at the intake manifold or engine
breathing system.  Are all air seals and closed-circuit engine breathing
hoses in place and unbroken?  You can check this at tickover by simply
removingthe oil filler cap.  If there is no change in engine speed, you got
an air leak!

Richening up the carburettors should lessen this effect, so I am a bit
puzzled.  Does the engine turn easily after you have removed the spark
plugs?  Could it be the ignition timing is wrong?

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register