Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Yikes!!!!Yikes and Thrice Yikes

Hi Mike
I can understand all your comments about electric fans, but I have never had
one go yet. I have had a string of Rover Cars, and Discoveries plus a Hyundai
and not a dud fan amongst them. (These cars are for  the wife to drive you
will appreciate). Have had cylinder heads, electrical faults, and a lot of
things under warranty on the Hyundai but never a fan. So I am still going to
fit one. If failure is as comon as you say then maybe it will fail. But so did
my viscous coupling!
All parts will fail eventually, but if they are regularly serviced, and
adjusted and lubricated and kept clean they will last a lot longer.
Is it true about stainless exhausts killing the burble. Can't have that. I
have a new tail pipe (Mild Steel) in my garage, so when the rest packs in, as
it will soon, I will go for mild Steel, and another eight years.

Headlamps. I haven't seen the article about relays, but its the Xenon filled
bulbs that interest me.

Spin on Filter was fitted 20,000 miles ago and has seen six different
canisters. Oil pressure unaffected. (I have the gauge to keep an eye on this)
No leaks.

Smartscreen is a device that allows the Mk1 with no Wiper delay to enjoy a
Wiper delay of between 5 and 30 seconds. It was brought to my notice on this
mailing list, so I recently sent off the cheque and got one. I will let you
know how it goes.

Oh by the way, how can taking using more of the amps coming out of the
Alternator use more fuel. Is there a higher magnetic pull on the rotating part
when current requirements are raised.

Peter Howells