Stag/Stag Digest Archive

PAS

Hey guys,

One of the enduring beefs against the Stag is over assisted steering.

As you may know, mine has a Datsun Z drive train, including a Datsun PS
pump.  Now we know that the Stag PS system is set up to run at 750 to
850 psi, where most systems run at 1000 psi.  When I was installing my
drive, I had the Datsun pump rebuilt to release at 700 psi.  It is
simply a matter of changing the pressure relief spring, essentially the
same as the oil pump's relief spring.

I didn't find the previous arrangement, also not original, over
assisted, but I wonder if the steering feel could be influenced by the
amount of pressure produced at the pump?  It does seem logical, yes?

And I just tightened up the end float on my front bearings, to find the
steering feel a bit heavier.  Comments?

I'm satisfied with the feel of my steering, but I thought those of you
who are not might be interested.

Kevin Harrop
Los Angeles
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z motor