Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Intake manifold bolts - head thread repair

You may try using studs and nuts instead of bolts, this is much gentler
on the threads when torquing.  Install the studs as deep as possible and
then put on the nuts (with a washer).

Also, I wouldn't use helicoils for repair, instead use the solid threaded
inserts.

Clark W. Nicholls
http://members.aol.com/cwnicholls

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:48:54 +0100 Dave Biggs <D.Biggs@domain.elided>
writes:
>Tim Buja wrote:
>>
>> BTW, I had to helicoil four of the threads in the heads for the
>intake
>> manifold bolts last night.  I had already done three of them before
>> setting the manifold in place, and was torquing down the last bolt
>when
>> the threads in the head decided to let go.  What a sinking feeling!
>>

>I face a similar problem with my heads as inherited from a previous
>owner. Can you insert helicoils on a DIY basis or do you need a
>machine
>shop to do it ?
>
>I was told that the threads in the head are far longer than the bolt
>uses and so if you can get a longer bolt it will use the virgin thread
>in the bottom of the hole.
>I don't know if this is sufficient, I'll have to look into that one
>(assuming I can find longer UNC bolts).
>
>Regards,
>
>Dave.
>
>--
>	Dave Biggs
>	Senior Design Engineer
>	Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd,
>	Birmingham Business Park,Solihull Parkway, Birmingham, B37
>7YU.
>	mailto:D.Biggs@domain.elided  tel: 0121 717 6094  efax: 0121 717
>6014

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]