Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Replacement sealing rings for spin-on oil filter adapter

Tim Buja wrote:

> BTW, I had to helicoil four of the threads in the heads for the intake
> manifold bolts last night.  I had already done three of them before
> setting the manifold in place, and was torquing down the last bolt when
> the threads in the head decided to let go.  What a sinking feeling!

I face a similar problem with my heads as inherited from a previous
owner. Can you insert helicoils on a DIY basis or do you need a machine
shop to do it ?

I was told that the threads in the head are far longer than the bolt
uses and so if you can get a longer bolt it will use the virgin thread
in the bottom of the hole.
I don't know if this is sufficient, I'll have to look into that one
(assuming I can find longer UNC bolts).

Regards,

Dave.

--