Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Annoying rattle

Hi folks,

well this weekend's project is to try and get the old Stag
ready for its MOT hopefully next week.

Started it up last weekend, no problems, bit of smoke as the
WD40 cleared out, got it nice and warm etc.

But there's the beginning of an annoying little engine rattle
developing, immeadiate thought is timing chains, but no time
to investigate. The vibration was definatly from the nearside
half of the engine but difficult to determine whether at the
front or back.

So thinking about this over the week, could it be more to do
with valve clearances ??? This would obviously be easy to reject
as the source of noise before getting to grips with the chains.
Or is there an easy way to check the chain tension, being a relative
novice still I'm afraid I'm not up to speed with this, don't have
the video yet.

Any tips, thoughts or advise, sure you've all been there before.

Thanks

David.

1974 Stag
1958 TR3A (well maybe it will be one day)

David John Allinson	 	  tel: +44 1753 566 734
Product Manager                              ext: 13734
Sun Microsystems NPG   email: david.allinson@domain.elided