Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Yikes!!!! and More yikes!!!!

Mike

Yes things are improving slowly ever slowly.  The knee is still sensative
but yes I can get my trousers on.

I guess a lot on this subject is dependant on ones experiences.  Maybe I
have been lucky.  The 2500S sedan came factory fitted with both a viscous
fan AND an electric.  I purchased the car new in December 1978,  tThe
viscous fan gave up the ghost within a couple of years.  In my case it
seized up and became a fixed fan.  On the other hand the electric fan has
been going strong ever since.  yes the same fan for 19 1/2 years.  No
problems, no maintenance.

When I restored the stag in 1990, the electric fan in it was RS so I
installed the largest single V8 spec Kenlowe available and no problems.

I read a lot of correspondnace re the air scoops.  Not many of the Stags I
have seen over here in our club use them, and no one seems to complain
about overheating.  In fact while the blokes talk about other subjects,
overheating is one topic that, if ever, gets mentioned.

This makes me curious, because I would think that our summers get a darn
lot hotter than yours.

keep staggering   Brian

At 06:11 PM 25/04/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Good to hear from you Brian, I hope all is well with you and you can now
>get your trousers on.
>
>As you say, we disagree on fans, electric fans are not reliable at all as
>far as I can see in ANY car  - see correspondence in other e-nmails.
>
>The Stag viscous coupling is held on by the crank centre bolt and a large
>hardened washer so it's not going anywhere, but it makes a certain amount
>of noise while it is still working - so is sort of fail-safe, which an
>electric fan never is!
>
>I agree with you about the effect of road-speed on cooling.  The viscous
>fan (if the engine is not overheating) reaches no more than about 2,000 rpm
>at any higher engine speeds and so is effectively idling its way through
>the air passing over the blades.  It's operation is simple and there are no
>connections, wiring problems etc to contend with.
>
>The cooling airflow configuration on the Stag is not so good.  The main
>problem is that the air flow is not naturally through the grille, but
>mainly through the under-bumper ducting.  Thus, an electric fan needs to be
>very carefully sited to enable it to pull air in and deposit it in the
>right place.  The standard viscous coupling driven fan is large diameter
>and so does not suffer from this problem too much.  The Tony Hart spoiler
>does definitely scoop up air and use it better, but I can't stand the look
>of it!
>
>The phenomenon of blades pulling forward by any marked degree I have never
>seen on a Stag, but on other cars when the radiator core is blocked.
>
>I often (every 6 months) check the electric fans on our 3 modern cars, and
>have had to replace all 3 in the last couple of years as they were open
>circuit.  Opening one up, it was full of rust and filfth.  All this is
>subsequent to having a fan pack up in central London causing the car to
>seriously overheat in a traffic jam outside Harrods, I just managed to
>retrieve the situation by turning round and heading out of town to enable
>things to cool down.  I had a full car at the time, there I was with Dinner
>suit on trying to look cool, and antifreeze blowing up the bonnet!
>
>Mike Wattam
>Triumph Stag Register

Brian & Jan Tink

Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
Australia
P.O. Box 815  Woden  A.C.T. 2606
batink@domain.elided
Phone: (02) 62815275 (h)  Mobile 014 68 5040
Fax:   (02) 62812331  Need prior warning to set up computer
FGBMFI   "His Banner over us is Love"

                                 /\
                         ___	/  \
                               \___/