Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil pressure

Hi Bruce,

A long standing rule of thumb for oil pressure for racing engines is 10 psi
per 1,000 rpm. The idea seems to be that any more is a useless waste of
engine power that can also add heat to the oil. Early Porches in particular
have an oil pressure gauge that can nearly do double duty as a tach.
Although I must admit that I worried about this at one time and went so far
as to clean up the block passages on my '73 Stag leading to and from the
oil pump. They were pretty poorly aligned with the pump. I discovered this
when I made a paper gasket thinking that the o ring system may allow a leak
between input & output. I put the gasket up against the block and saw how
poorly the passages met. I remember thinking at the time that it added
maybe a couple psi at idle but hard to say for sure...