Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: speedo & tach for V6 conversion

At 01:00 AM 3/5/97 -0800, Ralph Vrana wrote:

>2)  What kind of speedo cable will work with the ford automatic trans and
>the Stag speedo and do I need somekind of converter?
>
>3)  Is there a way to adjust the Stag tach to work with a V6?

Some general advice (my conversion is a v8):

It's probably easiest to use a Stag speedometer cable; I used the T35
"autobox" version to connect to a GM trans. The Stag inner cable will
probably work the way it is, otherwise buy a universal replacement inner
cable. A Ford dealer can supply a range of speedo drive gears to
re-calibrate to the Stag's diff ratio, but you might as well just order the
largest gear available and hope it's enough!

Does your tach read a consistant three-fourths of actual? If you feel up to
it, there is probably a trim pot inside the case that may have enough range
or you'll need to modify some nearby circuit values.

Of course, your satisfaction in building your own car will be improved if
you ignore all this advice!