Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Speedo and Tach, V6 conversion Re: speedo & tach for V6 conversio Re: speedo & tach for V6 conversion Re: speedo & tach for V6 conversion Re: speedo & tach for V6 conversion

Hey Guys,

A tach designed for a points system often will not work with electronic
ignition.

My '73 Stag with a Datsun Z motor and electronic ignition has just
passed 5000 miles since installation.  Hooray!

I pulled a tach from a Z, Stripped it down to it's guts, and installed
it in the V8 case, with the original face and needle.  I got lucky, and
didn't need to drill any holes.

I also converted a Stag tach with Mazda RX7 guts.  That was a bit
trickier, as the three holes in the face didn't line up.  For that I
used a thick piece of plastic (styrene) as a spacer.  It screws to the
tach guts, and the face screws to it.

For mu speedo cable, I was able to use the Nissan Maxima speedo cable
that matched the OD auto trans that I fitted.  At the speedometer end, I
just pried the fittings off both cables, and crimped the Triumph furel
onto the Nissan cable.

None of these changes are irrevesable, and none of them took much time.
In fact, each of my swaps cost more time in fretting than in action.

So get on with it!

Kevin Harrop
Los Angeles