Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Speedometer error

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Mike Wattam wrote:

> The exchange gearbox you have, has either the incorrect worm on the
> mainshaft, or the wrong speedo gear (or both!).  This problem is
> unfortunately fairly commonplace for companies which supply the same
> gearbox for 2000/2.5 and Stag.  Worse still, you might have a 2000/2.5
> gearbox.  Berate your supplier!
>
> Mike Wattam
> Triumph Stag Register

Oh dear! - Roger Morrish of Abinger Hammer Motors replaced the syncro rings
last year so I would have thought he would have noticed if the gearbox was not
from a Stag - what is the difference between the boxes and can one tell
without taking it all apart? Unfortunately it is still easy to beat the syncro
despite the new rings.  I presume that the speedo gear and worm must match and
that you cannot have one from a Stag and one from a 2000/2.5.

Thanks for your help.  I really am just about to send off my TSR application!

Regards

Graham