Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re:for sale or swap

John

I had some trouble with my drivers side windows not opening and closing
properly and it turned out to be worn felt in the side runners.  This is
more likely to affect the drivers side window as it generally gets more use
than the passenger side window.  I have rubber with a felt like finish
glass guides which key into the metal window frame runners in my car.  At
one spot the felt had worn off and the as the window went down there was
enough play for the glass to skew slightly and the corner of the glass
jammed against the rubber which is not 'slippery' enough to allow it to
continue to slide.  This can be checked easily by rocking the glass in the
position where it is just about to jam and see if this frees up the travel.
Once you know what you are looking for you can also see the worn patch on
the felt in this area relatively easily.  The fix was simple, take the
chrome window runners out and replace the felt.  Took me about 1.5-2 hours
and I managed to get the rubber/felt material for free from a co-operative
motor trimming shop.  I think he saw I had a Stag and took pity on me.

In any case if the above is not the problem you can examine the whole
mechanism by removing the inner door trim and using a torch.  I also found
it helped the windows by sparingly applying some grease to the channel
which the motor drive arm runs in which is below the glass.  This
description may sound confusing but it will be obvious once you remove the
door trim.  Sorry I do not have a spare window switch but these switches
look very similar to some Jaguar and other British car switches I have seen
and somebody on the list may be able to supply an alternative.  You could
try David Clarke on 96383941 or T&R Spares on 97095611 for the Stag part.

Guy Grunwald