Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: [2] Front Suspension Question

Alex Nixon wrote:

> Glenn
>
> Thanks for the tips. And I am glad to hear that at least one person
> on the list feels sorry for me. You know the stories about brits and
> our education system, we are all masochists at heart.
>
> All ball joints and bearings are new. The one thing you suggest
> which I have not looked at is the upper swivel joint, as I don't
> have easy access to a spring compressor to disassemble the strut.
>
> But now that you have suggested it I will examine it as soon as I can,
> but it is likely ? What I am thinking, is that the angle of the hub to
> the strut is wrong (top to far in - bottom to far out), and I don't think
> the top swivel could do this. The wheel bearings are a very likely source
> and I will re-check these first. I did start to think about possible past
> accident damage, but its the same on both sides. I don't see any real
> evidence of such damage, either no repair or its the best repair I ever saw!
>
> One thing I should have said before is that I can push the car, so
> that the wheels can turn without significantly rubbing on the spring.
> Jacking it up just gave me confirmation. I have done the old "wobble
> everything with a big stick" routine which is partly what made me
> replace all the joints, nothing looks too out of place.
>
> I would like some feed-back on the question of the GAP between wheel
> and spring I refer to. I don't realy know which of the two US cars
> is wrong (hoping that its the one in re-build).
>
> A couple of things I have considered is that maybe the "vertical link"
> (strut to hub bracket/adapter) or the stub axle are bent, it could
> cause the same symptom also. - But I keep asking myself how could both
> sides be so wrong.
>
> One thing I would like to try is another strut/hub assembly from
> another car - but guess what I am reluctant to dismantle my working Stag.
> Any one got a strut/hub I could borrow(OK silly idea) or buy at low
> cost - two would be better.
>
> I am beginning to HATE these things
> three stags what an idiot I am   grumble... grumble... grumble... grumble...

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the "plug" about supplying you with the drag strut.

I don't have an easy solution for you and my Stag is not here, it's at
my friends shop getting some bugs worked out. I do remember reading
about a clearance problem on the front suspension but I'm not sure if it
was from the list or from the Stag Club newsletter from England. I will
look at my old issues and see if I can find the article. If memeory
serves me well(and lately it hasn't) the article had something to do
with the way the springs were placed on the strut and if you rotated the
sprigs while keeping the strut stationery(I don't know how to do it) the
clearance between the springs and the tires was greater.

I don't know if this will help or just cause you more grief but I
thought I would mention it.

Let me know how you make out. In the meantime I will look for the
article. BTW I do have a complete front end off a Stag and if push came
to shove and you wanted to pay for shipping both ways I would let you
borrow the struts. I really don't think you will need to go through all
that to solve your problem.

My other sugestion is to look in the shop manual and get some
measurements and check them against the measurements on your car and see
if the strut towers may have been bent ever so slightly to cause your
problem.
--
Lenny Seidman
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA