Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: [2] Front Suspension Question

Hello Alex,
    If the upper bushing is bad, the strut will move in the opposite
direction as the spring pressure, pushing it away from the tire when on
a jack.  I'd remove the rubber cover on top of the strut housing and
check the condition there.  If it looks like someone was beating in
there with a ball-pien hammer, the bushing is probably trashed.  They
tend to make a normal wear pattern that is left to right as opposed to a
front to back pattern that would be caused by the lower link bushings
giving out. I also would tend to agree with you that something could be
bent.  Is it the same on both sides?  When you replaced the wheel
bearings, did you replace the bearing tracks along with the bearings?
If not, the inner bearing track wearing in more  than the outer would
place the hub slightly inwards, but I would think it would rub the spash
guard with the brake rotor or wheel hub.  If the stub axle is bent, or
the lower wishbone at the ball joint, the whole brake hub wheel assembly
would tilt together.  A four wheel alignment would detect a bent axle or
bent wishbone before you go replacing hardware.  BTW, what tire sizes
are you using?

Regards,
Glenn Merrell