Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Steering weight

In message , "Tink, Brian@CBR BSAV Mail" <Brian.Tink@domain.elided> writes
>greetings from the land of OZ
>
>Someone commented in the last couple of days about the lightness of the
>Stag
>steering.
>
>This aspect has puzzled me also.
>
>The question is:  Why is the Stag steering so much lighter than that of
>2500S Sedan.
>
>I own both and although they are of similar all up weight and length,
>
>maybe the stag is a little shorter and lighter and I would think that
>there
>would not be a great difference in the engine weights, both have iron
>blocks,
>they are two totally different cars to drive.
>
>This aspect is even further compounded when one reads the history of the
>development of the Stag, where the prime instructions were that it had
>to be
>built using existing 2000/2500 components.
>
>keep staggering
>
>Brian

I think it depends on the year of the vehicle. Most early Stag road
tests commented adversely on the lightness of the steering but my (1975
Mk2) is fine, feeling like nicely weighted non-PAS at most speeds but
allowing easy parking. I have had 2 x 2.5 PI / 2500S saloons: the early
one (1971) had exceptionally and unnervingly light steering; the later
(1976) one was similar to my current Stag. I suspect that the level of
power assistance was changed at some time. BTW, I have fitted a recon
rack (from SNG Barrett) and that gives the same nice feel as original.
They do not seem to offer > 1 version so I suspect that one of these
would sort out an earlier car. I don't think the pump makes any
difference.

I have asked this question before but wonder whether any newer
subscribers have the answer: my car's first registered owner (for 10
years!!!) was Motor Sport magazine. It was apparently the "company car"
of Geraint Phillips, the rally correspondent. Does anyone have any
information about its life with the magazine? I have found only a couple
of peripheral mentions, one of which suggests that the engine was
changed by Triumph at 10K miles due (believe it or not) to overheating!
--
Ian Soady
Mk 2 Stag LRW 640P: 11,000 miles since June 1997.