Stag/Stag Digest Archive

My Heads

Dear Staggers,

thanks for the lot of advice on how to get my head back together. I finished the job almost

 - still to do some cleaning.
   Has anyone some experience with that "make alloy shine" stuff.

 - felt that the cams are turning hard. On advice from several of you I
   checked alignment of the bearings. Looks fine.
   Question: Is some adjusting necessary to new camshafts.
	I only polished all bearings with a 600er wet sandpaper, as recommended.

 - Shims.
	I followed the steps as described in the WSM. Takes some time, some
	ordering of different sizes, some time, some ordering, ...
	but finally I did it.
	Questions: Why are shims sold in 0.001" increments.
	If you look at the whole process, the gap is messured by a feeler (SP?) blade
	with an accurancy (besides fitting that blade easy to hard) of at most
	0.05"
	And I checked my old shims. They look like 0.01" increments.
	Correct size of gap is 0.20 - 0.25 for inlet, 0.40 - 0.45 for outlet.
	So 0.01 shi, increments would be more then sufficient.
	Did I miss anything ?

Thanks again for your help so far,
will let you know when I have more things to ask or the engine is back to life (whatever comes first)

Tom