Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: SR vs. HR Tyres

Notify your insurance company that you have SR rated tyres, many take this
in their stride, if so this should save you a lot of money.

Technically, the SR fitment is fine for a Stag anyway, as the speed rating
is adequate for Stag performance even when new.  But, an unscrupulous
insurance company might wriggle and excuse themselves from paying as they
are not to original specification, unles they have already been advised of
their use.

I think you will find most Stags are on SR rated tyres.

There is absolutely no difference in rolling radius/diameter of HR versus
SR tyres.

The dimensions you quote are exactly reproduced on my Stag which has never
yet been whacked by any inconsiderate fool, so let that put your mind at
rest.  I have taken a brand new tyre/wheel off the car and put it in the
boot without any problem, in fact there is good finger clearance at left
front and left rear when the tyre is snuggled against the petrol tank lip.
So, I don't understand.

I tend to wipe out emails after I have read them, and guess what - I can't
remember what tyres you said you have fitted.  It may be you have some very
strange tyre that is marked one thing, but is actually another larger size?
 The best way to measure this (I am suggesting perhaps you cannot trust
what is written on the tyre), is to take the circumference in the middle of
the tread as accurately as possible.  A worn-out tyre Michelin size 185-14
should be 78.75 inches in circumference, measured at the centre of the
tread (2-3mm of tread here).

Perhaps the hub stands too far proud of the tyre to allow the tyre to go
down into the indentation in the left inner wing.  The rim width of 5.5
inches is the same as the Stag alloy wheel, so this should not be a
problem.

My guess is it's the tyres.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register