Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: ???What ATF for Power Steering Pump????

From an ATF supplier:
	Prior to the Endangered Species Act of 1972, sperm whale oil was the
transmission additive of choice (a component of Dexron Iª). Sperm whale
oil has a linear structure comprised of up to 50 carbons. With this
additive, the transmission fluid lasted the lifetime of the car.

When Dexron IIª was formulated without sperm whale oil, automatic
transmission fluid's life was reduced to a 15,000 miles.

From Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers:
My father used to buy Automatic Transmission Fluid and use it in the
power steering reservoir instead of Power Steering Fluid. He said it was
the same stuff, so it didn't matter. Is he right?
                                 Ray: He was. But he's not anymore. They
used to be the same, but that changed about ten or fifteen years ago.
                                 Tom: Around that time, Automatic
Transmission Fluid started getting more complex, and now it has
materials that are not recommended for your power steering system.
     Ray: And likewise, Power Steering Fluid today does not have
everything it needs to serve as modern-day Automatic Transmission Fluid.
     Tom: On the other hand, we have noticed a striking chemical
similarity between Automatic Transmission Fluid and our mother's borscht
recipe.
     I'll think I'll try it in my brother's car tomorrow and see what
happens.

;-}}}
Glenn