Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: ???What ATF for Power Steering Pump????

Lenny Seidman wrote:

> My Stag has not run in about 2 years and I am getting to the point where
> everything is coming to gether in anticipation of Starting it up again.
> I need to refill my power steering fluid pump resevoir and looked in the
> shop manual which recommends Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Type F.
> I'm not sure what was left in the rack, but I think it was Dextron
> formula fluid.
>
> Would I be OK if I used Dextron II (I think it's called II) fluid that
> is made for both Ford (type F) and all other automatic transmissions? I
> know back a few years ago(20 or so) you couldn't use Type F in place of
> Dextron and vice versa.

Hello Lenny,
	My experience with mixing ATF types is that it expands the rubber seals
slightly, similar to the effect of putting US DOT brake fluid into
Castrol Girling or Crimson fluid in the brake system.  The difference is
that this combination of brake fluids over-expands the rubber in the
brake system, destroying the rubber seals in a relatively short time,
days.  If there are any minor leaks in the power steering system around
the seals, it might tighten them up for a while.  But if you have no
leaks now, I would flush out the power steering system and replace it
with new fluid recommended in the ROM.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
'73 Mark II Stag, USA Model, LE23398U