Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Scorpion strut nuts

Regarding the thread on removing the upper nut on Scorpion struts, over the
years I've probably changed more Scorpion struts than anyone else on the
planet and what has always worked for me was to simply use a thin-wall impact
socket of appropriate size (is it 17mm or 19mm?) and zip it off with an impact
wrench. Sometimes the assembly will expand apart as you do this, but more
often than not there is so much "crud" all over everything that once the nut
is removed everything still stays put. I even had to toss a particulary
stubborn strut assembly or two 10 or 12 feet across the parking lot to get it
to "explode apart" upon landing! You won't find that one in the Scorpion Shop
Manual!

Best Wishes,

Ed at Caribou Imports, Inc.
NOW... the largest Fiat parts supplier in the Western U.S.
visit us on the Web at:
http://members.aol.com/CARIBOULH