RE: [ihc] Oily Upgrade

Hi John, and other interested parties -

: Pete, A more comprehensive link to the oil testing is
:
: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

I appreciate the correction.  I had Mobil1 on the brain.

: > BTW, I WAS using dino oil - Valvoline Max-Life 20W-50 (Oklahoma!) &
: > Fram DG-8A's. No complaints.

I think they have a three entries in their _G line - I believe there's a
Tough Guard (TG), Double Guard (DG), and I think their Extra Guard (XG)
series is semi-new -- extended life , hi mileage (7,000) is their claim to
fame there. And you pay for it. But again, to quote an old Louis Armstrong
(or was it Ella?) lyric "I'm beginning to see the light". After seeing the
cardboard end pieces in the Fram's, hearing reports of its disintegration -
clogging galleys, etc., I'm no longer the Fram "believer" I used to be. The
next filter I use just might be a K&N. Of course, I say that not knowing how
much $ they are. If they're $30 a pop, suddenly Percolator sounds fine! %^)

: The DG;s are the Double Guards with the Teflon in them, are
: they not?

I think dose are dem.

: I've been pretty well convinced that the Teflon whether it is
: in the filter or in an additive like Slick 50 is not a good

I've been reading some of that too. More lately it seems. It seems Teflon
does NOT belong in ones engine. I'll have to check and see if the XG's do
the Teflon as well. If so, that may accelerate my next filter change.

: idea. But I use the Tough Guard Frams occasionally when I get
: them on sale. It is obvious, at least to me, that there are
: better made filters, but if the filters are changed at 3500
: miles or so, what real difference does it make.

Well, I dunno, John.  If a filter (Fram) has cardboard ends in it, I just
have to wonder which happens first - disintegration of the cardboard, or the
next filter change?  I don't know the answer. Likely only our favorite  gyro
pilot knows for sure! ;-)  I'm sure John has a spreadsheet and/or PowerPoint
presentation for this...

: I have no doubts that the Amsoil, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold filters,
: are really better, but again, so what if you're going to
: change them every 3500 miles.

As above...

: I am much more concerned about changing the filter than I am
: with changing the oil. The Amsoil presently in the Dodge
: Diesel has been in for 7500 miles and I just changed the
: filter which adds a quart of new oil to the system. The
: Paradise Garage emphasizes that the added oil makes a
: difference. I'm planning on changing the oil every 15,000

Yes, "topping off" (volume) is apparently critical in synthetic oils.

: miles in that truck. Seriously, whether it needs it or not.
: New Amsoil filter every 7500 miles.

In theory, what you propose should work just fine, from what I read of the
specs for all the respectable synthetics. I'm just a coward I guess... I'm
gonna stick to 6,000 miles and call it good. Though I could be persuaded to
go 9K probably!

: My Terra sits for so much of the time that I change the Mobil
: 1 in it about once a year just because.

I hear ya.

: Well, that's my opinion and fortunately for all of us, I know
: it is opinion.

<polite cough!> Well, yes, thank-you John! And there's my opinion too...
Subject to change with popular beliefs, the wind, phases of moon, internet
reading, etc.

Cheers,

--Pete