Re: [ihc] Oily Upgrade

On Dec 13, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Peter Ferris wrote:

And the correct link to the site mentioned in the story is:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
Pete, A more comprehensive link to the oil testing is

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

They've pretty well wrapped up the testing on Amsoil now.

BTW, I WAS using dino oil - Valvoline Max-Life 20W-50 (Oklahoma!) & Fram
DG-8A's. No complaints.
The DG;s are the Double Guards with the Teflon in them, are they not? I've been pretty well convinced that the teflon whether it is in the filter or in an additive like Slick 50 is not a good idea. But I use the Tough Guard Frams occasionally when I get them on sale. It is obvious, at least to me, that there are better made filters, but if the filters are changed at 3500 miles or so, what real difference does it make.

I have no doubts that the Amsoil, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold filters, are really better, but again, so what if you're going to change them every 3500 miles.

I am much more concerned about changing the filter than I am with changing the oil. The Amsoil presently in the Dodge Diesel has been in for 7500 miles and I just changed the filter which adds a quart of new oil to the system. The Paradise Garage emphasizes that the added oil makes a difference. I'm planning on changing the oil every 15,000 miles in that truck. Seriously, whether it needs it or not. New Amsoil filter every 7500 miles.

My Terra sits for so much of the time that I change the Mobil 1 in it about once a year just because.

Well, that's my opinion and fortunately for all of us, I know it is opinion.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs