[ihc] Oily Upgrade

Sunday afternoon, I did a routine (some might say "compulsive") oil change
as I approached the 3,000 mile limit  oddometer reading. But this time I did
something different.  I switched to Mobil1 10W-30 and a higher mileage
filter (rated for 7K). I've read pros & cons on both the Binder Bulletin and
the Digest. I decided to give it a go. A couple things I noticed
immediately:

1) I appear to have slightly higher pressure now - using the arbitrary 27
year old stock dash gauge - it's about 1-1.5 "needle's width" higher
pressure. Have no clue what that translates to in PSI. ;-)

2) Initial cold start-up clatter & click has really quieted down.  There's
SOME noise for a few seconds right when starting, but within say 10-15
seconds, everything's very good. This is from a 'cold' start - engine
sitting off over 8 hours, etc.

Based on some reading on the Digest & BBulletin, I plan on running maybe 6K
miles (I'll be looking at it at 3K, and probably before that!) before the
next change. If you want to know my reasons for waiting 6K, there's a good
thread on the BB Board here:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17469

And the correct link to the site mentioned in the story is:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

BTW, I WAS using dino oil - Valvoline Max-Life 20W-50 (Oklahoma!) & Fram
DG-8A's. No complaints.

Sidebar rant:  I've seen a few people bash Fram filters (on BBulletin, at
least). I've had nothing but success with them and will probably continue to
use them.  I'd be interested in reading any tech literature (not from a
competitor) that can convincingly bad-mouth Fram. I'm NOT saying they're
"the best", but I believe there are far worse!

Later,

--Pete

     .===============.
   ||( )| | | | | |( )||  Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |  '77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\] More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\] http://www.pferris.com/scout
http://www.pferris.com/Misc_Stuff/IHC_Pix/IHC_Pix.php