Re: [ihc] Bigger is Better

Tom Harais wrote:
It comes down to "it depends on how you are planning to use it".  For
instance, for the uses I am interested in, the Humvee has some serious
By the same token, if rock crawling was my game, I'd have to give up the
Traveler and find a Scout.  The shorter wheelbase would mean the difference
between "go" and "no-go".  Function is important.
Owning, and daily driver-ing at various stages, a decent sized collection of Binders..

My stock Scout IIs were great. Park anywhere (compact car!), great turning radius, good ride, good capacity.

Good tow-rig? Not really, but adequate.

Stock 119" WB Travelall? I think a better highway ride, still park-able, but not a Compact, still turned well, and a better tow-rig. Pretty capable 4x4, but not as capable as the unmodified Scout.

I have a 133" single-cab long-box pickup, but I've never driven it. I'll give you feedback when I do.

I also have a 166" WB 1T Travelette. HUGE truck. Very heavy duty.

Goes down the highway great, hauls a trailer great, and hauls a yard of gravel and has a good ride. Empty? Off-road, the tail tends to kick a bit, but the cush coils up front ride nice for me in the driver's seat. :D

Park the thing? Please. I make 3 pt turns into diagonal parking spots.. forget most 90-deg slots if there are cars around.

If I lived in a big city, the Travelette would just be too much trouble to maneuver around parked cars and into parking garages.

Sure is nice to pull a load down the highway with it though.

OTOH, the T'ette gets 10mpg empty, 6.75mpg loaded.. the stock Scouts managed 12-24 depending on which one and which engine was in it at the time..