Re: [ihc] Oily Upgrade

On Dec 14, 2004, at 7:00 AM, Peter Ferris wrote:

Well, I dunno, John. If a filter (Fram) has cardboard ends in it, I just
have to wonder which happens first - disintegration of the cardboard, or the
next filter change? I don't know the answer. Likely only our favorite gyro
pilot knows for sure! ;-) I'm sure John has a spreadsheet and/or PowerPoint
presentation for this...
Well, our illustrious old friend and gyro pilot on several occasions came to the defense of the cheapest of the Fram filters and used them in the 392 that he rebuilt that is now owned by Joel B.

I find it interesting that the only filter that I've ever had obviously fail was a K&N filter that I paid big bucks for. After a few hundred miles on our GC, it started leaking torrents. Defect in the seal or the seat that the seal fits in, I don't remember which. Amsoil's published reports on filters show Amsoil as being the best (Who'd have thought?) Mobil 1 the second best. The Mobil 1 filters are available at our Wal-Mart, as are the two brands Jim G. mentioned.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs